Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Clatsop Community College1651 Lexington Ave. Astoria, OR 97103503-325-0910Admissions: 503-338-2411Toll Free: 1-855-252-8767Accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges & UniversitiesClatsop Community College is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution.
Title of container (Works Cited)
Title of container is the third core element. Containers are either 1) complete works which contain smaller works, such as a book containing essays, a book containing short stories, or an academic journal containing articles, or 2) larger containers holding smaller containers, like a database containing academic journals or a website containing Web pages.
- The title of the container is italicized and followed by a comma.
- It is possible for a source to have more than one container, for example, an article [title of source] from a journal [title of first container] accessed from an online database [title of second container].
- Sometimes titles will contain other titles. For example, a book of stories may be titled the name of one story "and Other Stories."
- If the title mentioned is usually indicated by italics, do not use italics or quotation marks for the title within the title. The title within the title will be in Roman. Examples are a book about a novel and a book about a film.
- Example of a book title which includes the title of a book: The Complete Gone with the Wind Trivia Book,
- If the title mentioned is usually indicated by double quotation marks, italicize the title (along with the rest of the title of container, and enclose the title in double quotations marks. Examples are a book about a poem and a book of short stories.
- Example of a book title which includes the title of a short story: "The Metamorphosis" and Other Stories,